Lutsk is one of the oldest cities in Ukraine. It is located on the banks of the Styr River. The city has the status of architectural monuments not only state but also world-wide. The most significant monument is the Lubart’s Castle and it is listed in the architectural values of Europe. In the castle is assembled the personification of world culture.
Lutsk is also very rich in religious buildings, such as:
- Cathedral of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul with the Jesuit monastery and dungeons, 1639, architect Giacomo Briano. Originally, the temple was built as a Jesuit monastery church. After the fire of the Holy Trinity Cathedral in 1781, the Catholic bishop’s department was transferred here. Currently, the active cathedral of the Roman Catholic Church.
- Complex of the Monastery and Church of the Holy Cross Church of Bernardins (Holy Trinity Cathedral), 1752-1755. Consolidated as a monastery church of the Holy Cross at the Bernardine monastery. Architect Pavel Gizhitsky. The Orthodox Church was rebuilt in 1877-1879. Today, the Cathedral of the UOC of Kyiv Patriarchate.
- Synagogue, 1626-1629 gg. Restored in 1981, the monument of architecture of national significance. Initially, the building was part of the defense system of Lutsk.
- Lutheran Church, beg. XX centuries. It is erected in a neo-Gothic style on the foundations of the Carmelite monastery. Now the Baptist Church is here.
- Armenian Church. The temple was built in 1427, or in the XVI century. Located on the Armenian street in the center of the Armenian quarter near Karaite not far from Rynok Square. Near the temple there was a monastery, a hospital and a cemetery, which was tightly bounded with the territory of the Father’s Church of St. Jakub. At the end of the XVIII century. collapsed along with the Armenian community of Lutsk. In 1845 it was burned down and for nearly 100 years it was ruined. In 1954 it was adapted for housing as it is used today.
- Architectural complex of the Lutsk Brotherhood, 1634 There was a Lutsk Cross-Brotherhood Cross. In 1702 in the church crypt was buried poet Danylo Bratkovsky. As a result of unsuccessful restoration of 2008-2010, the original appearance and style of the temple were distorted.
- Church of the Intercession Built in the middle of the XVII century. The church was reconstructed in 1873-76. Here was an icon of the Mother of God of Volhynia – a masterpiece of art from the XIII-XIV centuries. (now it’s kept at the National Art Museum in Kyiv). Once the temple was a cathedral Greek Catholic Church, now it is the Cathedral of the UOC of the Moscow Patriarchate.
- The Dominican Monastery, founded in 1390 by the Yagail Ridge, in the XVIII century. new built. In 1847 he was liquidated by the Russian tsarist regime. Now the spiritual seminary of the UOC-MP is here.
- Trinitarian Monastery, 1729 Now is a military hospital.
- Monastery of balloons. Placed in former Catholic buildings of the Church of the Holy Trinity. The balls acted in Lutsk in the XIX century. Currently, the room is occupied by the curia of the Lutsk Roman Catholic diocese and the residence of the Lutsk Bishop.
- Monastery of Brigadier, 1624 Built in a baroque style on the site of the Radziwill Palace. In 1846, the monastery was closed, and in the 1890’s in its premises were arranged in jail, and then (1960) musical college. Now there is the male orthodox monastery of the UOC-KP