The speed of the bicycle is probably the most important parameter that is of interest to any person on the bicycle path. Often buyers use this indicator even when choosing a bicycle. But to give a clear explanation of what speed of one or another bicycle is very difficult – there are too many factors influencing this definition.
Even if you ask an experienced cyclist or a professional athlete, you will soon receive an answer consisting of vague personal data. This parameter depends on many conditions. An important type of bicycle (its weight, level of equipment), coverage, speed and direction of wind, weight, growth and physical training of the rider. Well, and most importantly – and what speed of a bicycle are you interested in? Average, maximum, but maybe current? Let’s look at all the bones.
What is the current speed of the bicycle?
Here everything is simple – it is an indicator of speed of movement of a bicycle at the moment of riding on it. That’s all.
What is the average speed of a bicycle?
Its average speed can be easily calculated without special equipment or complex mathematical calculations. The easiest way is to take exactly one hour and see what distance you can overcome. The result will be your average speed. But to be exact – the average speed is the ratio of the distance traveled by the cyclist to the time spent on the trip.
The current record holder (from June 7, 2015) with the highest average speed indicator is Bradley Wiggins from the UK. He drove 54,526km in 1 hour on a special indoor Velodrome, where there is no counter wind, and the cover has the same relief and quality.
As for ordinary cyclists, they are able to maintain an average speed at the level:
- 30-35 km/h on a highway bicycle;
- 18-20 km/h average bicycle speed in the city;
- 10-15 km/h average speed of a mountain bicycle.
Speed record on bicycle
Man, such a creature, achieving a certain record he always wants to improve him. High-speed bicycle records are no exception. They try to beat them in completely different ways – from the application of non-standard technical solutions to the very bicycle, to the use of doping with cyclists.
Let’s highlight the highest speed records that cyclists have achieved:
- maximum speed on an equal aerodynamic capsule – 133.28km/h;
- 222 km/h when riding a bicycle from the mountain;
- maximum speed in the air pocket of a special car 268 km/h;
- 333 km/h on a bicycle with a jet engine.
At what speed the bicycle is higher?
The most high-speed, among the serial copies, is the highway type of bicycle, since it is as sharply as possible for a fast ride. But you must remember the golden rule – not a bicycle ride, but a cyclist. A very important role is played by the physical training of the rider and if she is lame, you can easily overtake her grandfather on a rusty “Ukraine”.
What is the speed of a bicycle measured?
In the beginning, analog devices operating in the bicycle movement were used and have the principle of running an automobile speedometer. But with the evolution of digital technology, there were special electronic devices (cyclo-computers). And with the development of modern smartphones, it became possible to measure the speed of the bicycle using the application trackers. Which one is better?
The bicycle computer is the most accurate method of speed determination. The bicycle computer calculates the speed of your bicycle using the circumference of the wheel and the amount of its rotation within a certain time interval – the minimum error. The disadvantage of this device is the lack of enough memory to store your results. Bicycle computer is a compact diagnostic tool for bicycle speeds that does not require charging, takes up little space and weighs a bit.
Smartphone and GPS tracker application – allows you to measure not only the speed indicators, but also the value of the height difference. An important feature is the ability to record the route, it will be marked by speed variations in different areas. You can also rate your route and share it with your friends. Minus – somewhat blurred data on the output, as the signal is lost.
How to raise your max or average speed?
It is unlikely that you want to beat the speed record on a bicycle put by some kind of Olympic champion, but here you can improve your personal achievements by applying some useful tips:
- Use as smooth and thin tires as possible, they have less rolling resistance; Increase the air pressure in the cameras to the maximum mark (you can find it on the side of the tires);
- The quality of your equipment is very important. If you want to achieve an outstanding result – you need a quality bicycle. First of all, light and rolling wheels;
- Get rid of or minimize depreciation of the suspension, as it eats a lion’s share of your strength;
- Reduce aerodynamic resistance – make landing as low and comfortable as possible;
- Dress up special cycling clothes, it does not hamper movement, well draws moisture and temperature from your body, resulting in making you more productive;
- Keep training. It is regular cycling to increase your speed, gradually rising higher and higher.